About Me

My photo
this is a blog chronicling my adventures in yarn, namely knitting and hopefully designing patterns and dyeing yarn starting this fall. I am a twentysomething knitter from Montana who loves yarn and making pretty things. check out my Etsy store, TiedDyedandBonafide, starting soon for great deals on yarn and notions!

Monday, October 3, 2011

Beginning Something New

My first contact with dye was when I was very young as a girl scout... we did tie dyeing. and we did a ton of it!! I still have shirts that I dyed over the years in my drawer. Which is why I smiled like I was seeing an old friend when I pulled out the Procion Dyes from my package from Dharma Fiber Trading Company... In many ways I was. Even though I have never dyed straight up yarn before (except a few premature and frankly unsuccessful attempts with Kool Aid), I know how this dye will react to certain types of fibers ( like.... cotton for instance. or wool.). I am so so so excited to get together with Adrishoes and work on dyeing yarn together! (for those of you who are crocheters, her blog is the one to beat. Check out the blog In Stitches for her creations)


Speaking of poorly dyed Kool Aid yarn, my first attempt at that was unsuccessful. my green all washed out the first time around, as did the blue, and the orange I tried turned into a salmon pinkish color, which may not even stay in anyway. I created a solution for the yarn though.... I am making a baby blanket to either donate or sell on Etsy (I have an Etsy account now!! check it out... I'm TrunkJunkie). which REALLY scared my boyfriend.... I had to explain that it wasn't for me. :) pictures up soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment