About Me

My photo
this is a blog chronicling my adventures in yarn, namely knitting and hopefully designing patterns and dyeing yarn starting this fall. I am a twentysomething knitter from Montana who loves yarn and making pretty things. check out my Etsy store, TiedDyedandBonafide, starting soon for great deals on yarn and notions!

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Blocks

I am no stranger to the quick project. but I have always thought that making an afghan out of blocks was kinda like cheating... a big project out of smaller projects?? what madness! I hate doing the same thing over and over though, so it makes no sense that I have such aversion to these afghans. But I mention this only because I have decided to take a baby step towards my own block afghan... I just joined a Ravelry group to contribute squares to a afghan that would then be auctioned to raise money to help pay for a surgery to prevent cancer. I am no stranger to what cancer can do to a family - my great aunt is going through chemo right now and I lost an aunt to cancer when I was little. I designed this square in honor and in memory of all of those people whose lives have been touched by cancer, and especially my great aunt, who is like a gramma to me. I hope that over the next couple weeks I can design another block for my aunt, and another for my best friends cousin, who died far too young.


Without further ado... Nancy's Square

I used caron simply soft in cool mint and size 7 needles... but any yarn will do.
the lady who will put together the afghan I am donating to has asked for a 6 by 6 square, so that's what the measurements are here
gauge is not important as it is a rather small project... whatever you decide looks about right will do
(and repeat anything in astericks to the end of the row)
Cast on 33 stitches
Row 1: K3 *p3, k3*
Row 2: p3 *k3, YO, p3*
Row 3: k3 *p4, k3*
Row 4: p3 *k1, k2tog, YO, k1, p3*
Row 5: k3 *p2, p2tog, k3*
Row 6: p3 *k1, YO, k2tog, p3*
repeat these six rows 5 times (I think) or until the piece reaches the desired length.

a picture will be up as soon as I can find my camera...

No comments:

Post a Comment